Hey there, welcome to my blog post on the Tokyo Skytree! I’m so excited to share my experience and all the amazing things that you can do here. From stunning views of the city to great shopping and dining options, the Tokyo Skytree has something for everyone. So, let’s dive right into it!
What is the Tokyo Skytree?
The Tokyo Skytree is a broadcasting and observation tower located in Sumida City, Tokyo, Japan. Standing at a height of 634 meters (2,080 feet), it is the tallest structure in Japan and one of the tallest towers in the world. It was designed by the Japanese architectural firm Nikken Sekkei and opened to the public in May 2012. The tower serves as a broadcasting antenna for television and radio channels and also houses a restaurant, shopping mall, and observation decks.
The History of the Tokyo Skytree
The Tokyo Skytree was built to replace the old Tokyo Tower, which had become insufficient for the increasing number of digital broadcasting channels. The idea for a new tower was proposed in 2003, and the construction began in 2008. It took almost four years to complete the tower, and it was officially opened to the public on May 22, 2012.
Specifications of the Tokyo Skytree
- Height: 634 meters (2,080 feet)
- Floors: 29
- Observation decks: Two (Tembo Deck and Tembo Galleria)
- Elevators: Six (two for the Tembo Deck and four for the Tembo Galleria)
- Capacity: 2,000 visitors at once
- Design: The tower features a neo-futuristic design with a sleek, tapered silhouette that resembles a traditional Japanese pagoda.
How does Tokyo Skytree Compare?
The Tokyo Skytree is an impressive structure and stands as the tallest tower in Japan, but how does it compare to other tall structures around the world? Let’s take a look at some of the tallest towers and buildings in the world:
- Burj Khalifa, Dubai – At 828 meters (2,716 feet), the Burj Khalifa is the tallest building in the world. It was completed in 2010 and features office space, residential apartments, and a hotel.
- Shanghai Tower, China – The Shanghai Tower stands at 632 meters (2,073 feet) and is the second-tallest building in the world. Completed in 2015, this tower features office space, a hotel, and observation decks.
- Tokyo Skytree, Japan – As we mentioned earlier, the Tokyo Skytree stands at 634 meters (2,080 feet) tall and is the tallest tower in Japan.
- Canton Tower, China – The Canton Tower is a television tower located in Guangzhou, China. It stands at 604 meters (1,982 feet) tall and features observation decks, restaurants, and a ferris wheel.
- Abraj Al Bait Clock Tower, Saudi Arabia – The Abraj Al Bait Clock Tower stands at 601 meters (1,971 feet) tall and is located in Mecca. It features hotel rooms, residential apartments, and a shopping mall.
Compared to these structures, the Tokyo Skytree is the second-tallest tower in the world, behind only the Canton Tower in China. However, when compared to buildings, it falls significantly short of the Burj Khalifa in Dubai and the Shanghai Tower in China.
While the Tokyo Skytree may not be the tallest structure in the world, it is still an impressive feat of engineering and an important landmark in Japan. The tower serves as a broadcasting antenna and provides unparalleled views of Tokyo and the surrounding area. Its innovative design and earthquake-resistant features make it a symbol of Japan’s resilience and ability to overcome challenges in the face of adversity.
Activities at the Tokyo Skytree
- Enjoy the View from the Observation Decks
The Tokyo Skytree offers two observation decks, the Tembo Deck, and the Tembo Galleria. The Tembo Deck is located at a height of 350 meters (1,148 feet) and offers breathtaking views of the city. You can see as far as Mount Fuji on a clear day. The Tembo Galleria is located at a height of 450 meters (1,476 feet) and is a spiraling walkway that offers an even more stunning panoramic view of the city. Both observation decks are equipped with high-powered telescopes and informational displays that provide visitors with an in-depth understanding of the city’s history and culture.
- Dine at the Skytree Restaurant
The Skytree Restaurant is located on the Tembo Deck and offers a unique dining experience with panoramic views of the city. The restaurant serves a range of Japanese cuisine, including sushi, tempura, and shabu-shabu. The menu also features international dishes, such as steak and pasta. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner and requires reservations.
- Shop at the Tokyo Skytree Town
The Tokyo Skytree Town is a shopping mall located at the base of the tower. It offers a wide range of stores, including fashion boutiques, souvenir shops, and restaurants. The mall also features an aquarium, planetarium, and an indoor theme park called “Solamachi.”
- Visit the Sumida Aquarium
The Sumida Aquarium is located on the fifth and sixth floors of the Tokyo Skytree Town. It features over 10,000 sea creatures from over 400 species, including penguins, seals, and jellyfish. The aquarium also hosts regular events and exhibitions, such as the “Jellyfish Ramen” event, where visitors can enjoy a bowl of ramen while surrounded by jellyfish.
Location and Access
The Tokyo Skytree is located in Sumida City, Tokyo, Japan. The nearest train station is Tokyo Skytree Station, which is served by the Tobu Skytree Line and the Tokyo Metro Hanzomon Line. The tower is also easily accessible by bus or taxi.
Tips for Visiting the Tokyo Skytree
- Buy your tickets in advance
The Tokyo Skytree is a popular attraction, and the lines for tickets can get very long. It’s recommended to buy your tickets in advance, either online or at a ticket vending machine. This will save you time and ensure that you get to visit the tower on your preferred day and time.
- Visit during off-peak hours
The Tokyo Skytree is busiest during weekends and holidays. If possible, try to visit during weekdays or during off-peak hours (early morning or late evening) to avoid the crowds and long lines.
- Dress appropriately
The observation decks of the Tokyo Skytree can get very windy, especially at higher elevations. Dress in layers and wear comfortable shoes. Also, be aware that the observation decks can be very crowded, so be prepared to navigate through the crowds.
- Don’t forget your camera
The Tokyo Skytree offers some of the best views of the city, so don’t forget to bring your camera or smartphone to capture the stunning views.
The Tokyo Skytree is a must-visit attraction for anyone traveling to Tokyo. From the stunning views of the city to the great shopping and dining options, there’s something for everyone at the tower. Whether you’re a history buff or a nature lover, you’ll find plenty of things to see and do at the Tokyo Skytree. So, pack your bags and head over to the tower to experience the beauty and wonder of Tokyo from a whole new perspective!